Egg Retrieval - Yes, I Wore Makeup!

I've been blog slackin' post egg retrieval. Wasn't really expecting to be down and out after the procedure, but alas, the bloating got the best of me. I'm still not quite deflated, but I think at this point I need to just accept my new figure and hope it progresses over the next nine months ;)

So - let's talk about eggs!
  • 12 were retrieved
  • 12 were mature
  • 7 of 12 fertilized
  • 6 of 12 remained 3 days post retrieval
  • Day 5 transfer scheduled for 5/6/14 (update on embies yet to be seen!)

Twas the night before Egg Retrieval...
and ain't nobody sleeping tonight! Ok well, not me anyway. My husband insisted that him and "the troops" get their beauty sleep. I laid in bed for hours just thinking. How many eggs will they get? What if there are none? Will I be in pain after?

Then of course I started to get emotional thinking about how amazing it is to finally be at this point. After trying for so long, we were just a few hours away from (unconventionally) making babies! My heart was nearly jumping out of my chest with excitement and anticipation.

I probably got a total of two hours of sleep before the alarm clock went off. Adrenaline kicked in, sleepiness went away. Let's do this!

The morning of retrieval was stressful. I was scheduled to arrive at the hospital at 8AM, via rush hour morning commute traffic and a 1.5 hour drive. Fortunately, getting ready was the easy part. I basically rolled out of bed, put on some mascara and concealer, switched into my "outdoor" slippers (yes, I have an indoor and outdoor pair) and jumped in the car.

When I arrived (late) at the facility, my hubby was quickly whisked away to, ya know, do his part! It was very non-romantical. I stood at the check-in station answering all the insurance questions, desperately in need of a bathroom. I knew my nerves were kicking in when I forgot my own address and my husband's year of birth.

The benefit of arriving late? No long waiting room hang out session. I followed the nurse through the double doors (husband-less), and wondered if he'd see me off to egg retrieval land.

Here's how the rest of what I can remember went down:
  1. Stripped down and changed into my back-less "hopeful mommy" dress, floor gripped socks, and beautiful hair net
  2. Stopped by the nurses station for standard questions and vital checks
  3. Met the anesthesiologist and greeted the doctor
  4. Hubby arrives to kiss me see-you-later
  5. Entered the most intimidating room on earth
  6. Had 7 different people touching, prodding and asking me questions as I got hooked up to the IV
  7. Sleeeeeppppyyyyy
  8. Woke up 1 hour later in recovery
  9. Drank chicken broth and ate a few crackers
  10. Proved I could go pee-pee
  11. Sent on our way

And then there was the aftermath...

Day of Egg Retrieval:
I kept waiting for the drugs to wear off and the pain to kick in, but it really never did (lucky me!). I have to thank my doctor for keeping me from stimming too big! I had minor bloating and general discomfort, but for the most part was feeling surprisingly well.

Day 1 Post Egg Retrieval:
Bloating increased, stomach was unhappy due to constipation, however no cramping. Discomfort when bending, twisting or peeing.

Day 2 Post Egg Retrieval:
Still bloated, and now gassy (wonderful). Discomfort when bending and peeing.

Day 3 Post Egg Retrieval:
This was the worst day of bloating by far. I felt like my stomach just kept expanding. Upped my water and sodium intake to try to get back in control.

Day 4 Post Egg Retrieval:
Gassy, mild bloating, discomfort bending.

Gas-X, Water, Gatorade and Dulcolax are your friends during these trying times!


Here's me after the retrieval, still drugged-up and weird-eyed ;)




5 comments:

  1. i'm so nervous for the egg retrieval, especially the general anesthesia. i've never been knocked out before. that was the main reason i kept putting it off. happy to hear they got a good batch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! Good luck and hoping you hear GOOD NEWS soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this! We have our retrieval tomorrow and I am getting anxious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll do great! Good luck! Wear comfy clothes and have lots of fluids ready for after! Hope they get some great eggies!

      Delete
  4. AnonymousJune 22, 2015

    I've read this post before but I had to read it again as my first retrieval is tomorrow. Fingers and toes crossed!!!

    ReplyDelete

 

WWW.TTCSISTERS.COM

TTC Sisters

Copyright

Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to www.unnaturallyknockedup.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Behind the Blog

 photo SMALLABOUT2_zps5cfccc74.png


Follow on Bloglovin